Monday, March 21, 2005

Our cause

Listening to Teresa Conlon's sermon titled "Never Drawing Back" dated January 30th, 2005 made me realize how often we give up so easily in our own battles. God has given each one of us a battle that we are to fight. However, the good thing about these battles is that He has also promised that He will be with us through each of these battles. Our instruction is to fully obey Him and rely on Him for all the provisions that we need to win these battles.

What are the battles that're placed before us? Most of the time, it's our own struggle with sin and other weaknesses. Though we have been set free from all these, yet Satan deceitfully comes to remind us again and again about what we've done. With shame and lies, Satan will use it to make us stumble into our past, and cause us to be captured by it again. But there's another battle; it involves our loved ones that are still not saved. They are caught in the web of sin and hopelessness, and often, turn to the wrong things or people to get free.

However, I feel there's a need to concentrate more on the battle that involves our love ones. I feel this because our struggle with sin is a perpetual thing, at least till the day with die. This battle is something that we've to fight daily. But for our loved ones, we are called to fight for their salvation. We are to be the "light of the world, and the salt of the earth" to them.

Over the weekend, I've come to know about people that close to me struggling with their marriages. They told me about the hopelessness they are facing with their spouse whom they thought they knew, is but a stranger to them now. Then, there are the cases where discipline becomes an issue that affects not just their studies, but also their own livelihood. Relatively speaking, some of these issues are actually considered "normal" when compared to other families that I know of who are struggling with drug abuse, alcoholism and physical abuse. But for some reason, I refuse to accept this as a norm, because I believe that God in His sovereignity is capable of making things work for the good of those who loves Him. The more I think about it, the more I realize how Satan is plotting to destroy my family. I begin to realize that there's more than meets the eye. The spiritual realm is in a chaotic frenzy of spiritual beings waging a war between good and evil. And that's why we need to rise up in our Spirit being to join with the forces of good to destroy the forces of evil and to release those who Satan has held captive for so many years. But often, we are addicted to "peaceful" living, not wanting additional problems or "inconveniences". Until our spiritual eyes are opened to see how the souls of our loved ones are crying in agony, loneliness and hopelessness, we will continue to live a "mediocre" christian life so that we will just be good enough to enter into heaven.

I now believe even more in the cause that God has given me. This is because I see how Satan has deceived and abused my family for too long. I know the promises God has given in Acts 16:31, and believe it with all my heart that "he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus". And the greater promise is this, that "..the battle is the LORD's...", and I know with all my heart that thru Christ Jesus, victory is mine already. Thru the cross, Jesus have given that victory to those who believe in Him. We just need to claim it.

I love this song:

When the mighty men
From the tribe of Judah
Faced the enemy
They were told by God
Not to be afraid
He would give the victory

He said lift up a song
And lay down the sword
For the battle is mine
Says the Lord

Sing unto the Lord
Make a joyful sound
Lift your voices
And let your praise resound
Sing a victor song
In the time of war
Trust in Jesus
The battle is the Lord's

When the evil one
Comes against you
To fill your heart with fear
You can trust in God
He will never leave you
He promised to be near

You can lift up a song
In the midst of the war
For the battle is mine
Says the Lord


Sing, Sing, Sing
Sing, Sing, Sing
For the Lord is good
And His mercy endureth forever
For the Lord is good
And His mercy endureth forever
Forever and ever

The battle is the Lord's

No comments: