Thursday, March 24, 2005

Bread of life...

Maundy Thursday... Christians all over the world commemorate the last supper of Jesus on this day. The scriptures records down these events in great detail. One of the most memorable part of the events that took place during the last supper was when Jesus had communion with His disciples. Though such a simple act, but yet, I find it so significant and deep in meaning.

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.
Luke 22:19-20 (NIV)


I wonder how many Christians understand the significance of the elements of Holy Communion. I believe it must be more than just Jesus wanting us to remember Him or what He has done for us. This is what I believe: Everytime when we take communion, we are instructed to remember Christ and what He has done. But I doubt many of us have trouble remembering these events. I would think that by watching the movie "The Passion of the Christ", we would have an even greater picture that will make us remember these events for a long long time. My belief is that more than this, Jesus wants us to understand that we are now His body, which was broken on the cross for us. Therefore, the punishment that was upon Him, was actually meant for us, but He paid the price for us. He didn't do it so that we can just escape punishment, but instead, with this new freedom, we can then carry out His will. Therefore, everytime when we eat of the bread of communion, we are to remember that the body we have is no longer ours, because somebody else paid for it. The truth is that it was never ours, because we used to live in sin, and death owned our very souls. But then, when Christ have set us free, we are now no longer slaves to sin, but slave to righteousness. And by this, since we belong to Christ, we have a new master, and He has given us a new purpose. Oh, how many times have we taken communion but yet our hearts are still consumed with ourselves and our own desires. We should be receiving communion with a heart that acknowledges that our body is no longer ours, but that we are now the body of Christ, and with that, we are to carry out the purposes that Christ has initiated when He came to earth until we die or when He comes back for His church.

In the same way, the blood that was poured for us for the remission of sin, is represented by the wine that we take during Holy Communion. Thus, as we are reminded that the blood that was shed for us have cleanse us from all sins, so are we to take this blood to the world to tell them how they too can be cleanse of their sins. Christians who understand their faith holds the power of the blood of Jesus in their testimony. They know the power of the blood that was shed for them, and how it can turn the darkest sin white, heal the deadliest disease, and free captives from the law of sin and death. But yet, we live lives that does not reflect the power of this blood. Oh may God have mercy on us all for treating His sacrifice with contempt.

I love the song "You are my king" because each time I sing it, it reminds me of not just what Jesus have done, but what I should be doing for Him...

You Are My King
I'm forgiven because you were forsaken,
I'm accepted, you were condemned
I'm alive and well, Your Spirit is within me
Because You died and rose again

Amazing love, how can it be
That You, my King has died for me?
Amazing love, I know its true
Its my joy to honor You
In all I do, I honor You

You are my King
Jesus, You are my King
You are my King


Lord Jesus, thank You that in suffering, You remembered me. I praise You for Your amazing love that gives me another chance to love You back.

1 comment:

angeline said...

hi there. just realized you got a blog. well done. i like your thoughts.