Friday, January 20, 2006

The Sovereignity of God

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father you are king over the flood
I will be still and know you are God
-Lyrics from "Still" by Hillsong

5 years ago, I made a decision in Barnes & Noble to keep a journal (I saw this really cool blank page journal book, and it was on discount!). Initially, I only penned like once in 3 months. Most of the stuff I wrote is in regard about the improvements I need to accomplish within myself. However, many of it contained prayers asking God to accomplish so many things within my life.

Somewhere around 2003, I picked up pace in journalling down my life, where I increased the frequency of my writings to bout 3 times a week. However, when I started this blog, that frequency toned down, but the journal is still not forgotten. I still look thru it, and occasionally, still jot down things that I can't in my blog.

Now to the point: My journal has allowed to remember so many things my mind can't. For instance, I recalled a time when all I wanted was to get rid off of all my debts. During my uni days, credit cards have managed to bring my debt level to thousands of US dollars. And yet I know, that when I left the US, I have cleared all my debts. Praise the Lord! There are many other points where at the moment of my life then, things seemed very bleak, but yet, God pulled me through. He graciously brought me to the place of His purpose.

Last night in the youth meeting, I shared about Lazarus and his sisters. I asked a question to the youth, which seemed to have gotten many of them thinking. It went like this:
John 11:5-6 states: "
Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. Yet when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days." My question to the youth, why did Jesus procrastinate His visit to Lazarus for two days? Why did Jesus basically wait for Lazarus to pass on? Evidently, many of us when reading this account never stop to ponder on this point (that is when we read the whole of John 11), but yet, it so essential, and more so to our faith.

This is where I believe the sovereignity of God comes in. He is such a great God. He does not need to adhere to anyone's rules or wishes. He is not limited by the laws of nature, and especially not the laws of men. However, the great thing about this is that He is a good God, and all His ways are just, even, when our eyes fail to see it.

God willingly waited for Lazarus to pass on. And this is because Jesus knew that "
his sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it" (John 11:4). Many times God allow trials to come into our lives. And yet, He still a just God. A God of love. These trials do not change His character, but He allows it so that we can be changed. God is in control, even in our most difficult times...

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers (and sisters), whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." - James 1:2-4

No comments: