Monday, November 28, 2005

If I Could Sing...

I had the wonderful privilege to attend a dinner organized by The Beautiful Gate, an organization whose vision is to help disabled (special needs?) people to acquire skills to lead a more independent life.

They had plenty of performances, which I might say were pretty impressive. Of them all, there was this song that caught my attention. I couldn't fully understand it as it was in mandarin, but I know the song is about a mute person, who desires to sing. And somewhere in the chorus, it went something like this: "If I could sing, I would sing a song praise to You God..."And I guess, it would also be the same for the lame to say, "If I could dance, I would dance for You Lord."

I guess we do take things for granted don't we? Here we are, at least most of us, who are not deprived of speech, sight, hearing, and movement in our bodies, and yet, we use it to do things that does not bring God glory. We use our mouth to cuss, curse, gossip and sing unholy songs. We use our eyes to watch sin-inspired movies, our ears to listen to things that put angels to shame, and our hands and feet to disobey God.

Instead, we could use it give our best to God. We could use our senses to fill our spirit so that we are encouraged to praise God even more. We have the option to use so much of ourselves to bring glory to Him. As described in Chris Tomlin's song, "The Way I Was Made", it goes like this:

Caught in the half-light, I'm caught alone
Waking up to the sunrise and the radio
Feels like I'm tied up, what's holding me?
Just praying today will be the day I go free

I want to live like there's no tomorrow
I want to dance like no one's around
I want to sing like nobody's listening
Before I lay my body down
I want to give like I have plenty
I want to love like I'm not afraid
I want to be the man I was meant to be
I want to be the way I was made

Made in Your likeness, made with Your hands
Made to discover who You are and who I am
All I've forgotten help me to find
All that You've promised let it be in my life

Strange isn't it? Until we lose it, we'll never appreciate what we have. May we give our best, before our best is taken away from us...

No comments: